Samsung Galaxy S3: How to Set Different Ringtone for Different Contact Group

The easier way to differentiate the caller is by set up the different ringtone for the required contact you wish to make it different with another. This of course will facilitate you to recognize whose the caller just by hear the tone.

See also: How to Set Different Ringtone For Different Contact on Samsung Galaxy S3

If you've managed to differentiate single contact with different ringtone, you can also set different ringtone for the required contact group.


How to set different ringtone for each contact group?
By set different ringtone on certain contact group, everytime you receive an incoming call from the member of this group you will hear the same ringtone you've set for this group. To do so kindly follow the steps below:
  1. Go to Apps through Home screen.
  2. Tap Contacts.
  3. Tap Group tab.
  4. Here you will see a list of your contact group. Tap and hold the required group you wish to set its ringtone until a pop up menu is displayed on your screen. Or you can tap the required group then tap the Menu key to get pop up menu.
  5. On pop up menu select Edit group.
  6. Scroll to Group ringtones, then tap the right arrow icon next to the option.
  7. Now you will see 3 options available on the pop up menu. They are:
    • Default: Select this option if you want to use ringtone that has set in Setting->Sound->Device ringtone.
    • Ringtone: Select this option if you want to use pre-loaded ringtones and ringtones on ringtones folders.
    • Go to My Files: Select this option if you want to use any ringtone files on your internal or external storage.
  8. Find and select the required ringtone you wish to use.
  9. Tap OK button to save your changes.
  10. Tap Home button to return to the standby mode.
  11. Finish. Now you have managed to set ringtone for the selected contact group. You can also do this steps for another contact group you already have.

By knowing on how to set different ringtone for each group, now you can set the ringtone you want for certain contact group. So, hope it helps :)

8 comments:

  1. Is there any way to use a different tone for each contact when they TEXT me? Also, how can I use a separate sound for "Whatsapp"? Can I use separate sounds for Whatsapp groups and private messages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LMAOweekly,
      Thanks for coming.
      To assign different ringtone for each contact when they text you, you need to use another third-party apps, such as Go SMS Pro or Ringo or Handcent.

      For the WhatsApp, there are some third-party apps which will allow you to set WhatsApp ringtone, unfortunately till I write this reply I still can't figure out how to separate tone for WhatsApp or apps that will allow you to do so. But, I'll happy to tell you if I already get one.

      Delete
  2. Before the latest update I could set ringtones for my contacts the way you described. Now when I try to edit my contact's ringtone it doesn't give me the option...all it shows is the contacts name, ph. # and email address. What do I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith Foster,
      Thanks for coming.
      Once you open certain contact, without tapping the Edit button, try to scroll down to find "Ringtones" option then tap the right arrow icon to assign ringtone for this contact. Or, you can also visit our post about it here:http://inside-galaxy.blogspot.com/2013/06/samsung-galaxy-s3-how-to-set-different.html
      Hope this helps :)

      Delete
  3. I do all you describe here, and it looks like it's ok, but when I receive a call from some contact in a edited group, still sounds default ringtone.
    If I go again to edit group ringtone, I can see that the ringtone is selected (no default) so it should sound my ringtone and not the default... but doesn't work.
    Also, if I set up a ringtone for one contact -of an edited group- (in its edit page), this works fine; sounds the custom ringtone. If I delete the customized ringtone by selecting default again (so, I would wait to sound now the group ringtone), still sounds default and not group ringtone.
    What do you recommend me?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shalafi,
      Thanks for coming and also I'm so sorry for late answer.
      I've just duplicated you issue. Finally I'm able to make contact in certain group sounds group custom ringtone when they call me by doing this step:
      1. Go to Settings.
      2. Tap My device tab.
      3. Tap Sound.
      4. Tap Ringtones then select "Silent".
      5. Now, open Contacts app and then open the required contact in its edit page.
      6. Tap Ringtone then select "Default".
      7. Tap Save button.

      After I did this step, when the contact call me, it sounds group custom ringtone. The flaws of this step is, this will make another non-group contacts that use Default as the ringtone will be silent when they call you.
      Hope this helps :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Rehan.
      Thank you for your help, but I don't think I'm going to do this because silencing non-group contacts it's not acceptable for me.
      I'm a little surprised with this issue; am I the only with this problem? It looks like a common problem in S3, doesn't it?, so I'm surprised that nobody report this before me. Even this post: did it work someday in the past?
      I think it's a conflict with priorities. Maybe, system doesn't know what to do if you have several posibilities for an incoming call (that is, default/custom contact ringtone, group ringtone - in fact, one contact can belong to several groups at a time -). Your solution reduces the posibilities to only one, and that works, so my deduction is about priorities. isn't there a way to report to Samsung?
      Thank you again

      Delete
    3. Hi Shalafi,
      Thanks for getting back here.
      Yes, you're right. Seems the system can't determine which ones --from several possibilities-- should be prioritized first. This situation also happen if you have more than one Messaging apps, you'll receive two notifications from each app unless you set one of them as default and silence the others. Anyway, you can submit your complaints to Samsung through their official web site.

      Delete

Hi the insiders,
Thanks for coming and I hope you can get something useful here.
Before submitting your comment to ask about an issue, please make sure to provide information as much as possible (at least write your model number and Android version) and describe the problem clearly.
Also, since all comments will be moderated, all comments with irrelevant links(if any) or contain with offensive/harsh word will be deleted.
The last, if you have a question and can't find the relevant article, please feel free to reach me through the Contact us page. I'll be more than happy to reply the email and answer the question :)